It is known, that in the northern territories of Saugos, people have already lived, during V-VI century BC, where the land was used for agriculture, the main people’s activity. During XVI-XVII centuries, the manors were being built. In 1853, the road Tilžė-Klaipėda was extended. There is a railway station in Kukorai. During the first half of XIX-XX, Saugai was different from other territories, because of the variety of mills, i.e.: Berciškiai wind mills (in Mantvydas even two), water mills in Aisėnai, Norkaičiai, steam mill in Vilkyčiai, the powered mills in Saugos and Žemaitkiemis. The brickyards, sawmills, blacksmiths, and pubs operated in the eldership. At the end of XIX century the diary enterprise was operating in Kukorai. During the XX century the departments of the post, telephone and telegraph were constructed in the centers of Saugos parish.
The famous people in Saugos, who were born and promoted or still promote the region, are: Jurgis Mikšas (1861-1903), the press worker in Lithuania Minor, one of the writers of “Aušra”, the social activist, the translator, the editor and founder of “Aušra” (“The Dawn”); Jonas Juškaitis (born in 1922), the lawyer, the former chairman of the Canadian Lithuanian students’ union; Ieva (Eva); Erika Labutytė-Vanagienė (1938-2003) the Lithuanian graphic artist, ethnographer of the Lithuanian Minor, the teacher, one of the founders of Martynas Jankus Memorial Museum in Bitėnai (1981) and the community of Lithuanian people “Lithuanian Minor” (1989); Antanas Venckus (1934-1975) the musicologist and the composer; Rūta Emigart Čiuželienė (born in 1946) the ethnographer, the teacher of arts, the member of Ethnographers Union since 1991; Benediktas Bagočius (born in 1955), the sportsman, the multiple champion and the winner of Lithuanian youth and adult weightlifting; Viktoras Petraitis (born in 1954), the director of JSC “Fedingas”, the amateur of shortwave radio, the World and six-times the Europe champion, 11-times the Pre-Baltic and Lithuanian champion, and the World record-breaker; Jonas Birškus (1870-1959) the social activist of Lithuanian Minor, the bibliophile, and ethnographer.
There are several historical and archaeological monuments in Saugos eldership: Saugos Evangelic Lutheran Church (1857), Saugos St. Casimir church (1947; lith. Šv. Kazimieras), the buildings of Saugos foster home (built in 1891, 1902, 1912), Saugos mill and sawmill (1908), its technologic environment (the authentic Swedish and German saw mills and carriages are still being used), the building of Kukorai Railway Station, Sakūčiai bridge through the Minija River (1886-1891); the sculpture “The suffering of the Nation” (1990; sculptor Vartulis J.), Stankaičiai bridge through the Veiviržas River (1930), Stankaičiai, Sakūtėliai and other mounds.
The Minija, the Veiviržas, the Tenenys, the Aisė Rivers flow in the territory of the eldership. Veiviržas landscape, Veiviržas ichthyologic, Begėdžiai botanical, and Minija ichthyologic reserves operate in the eldership.
Saugos eldership was established in 1995.
The Coat of arms of Saugos eldership.