Near Zemaiciu (lith. Žemaičių) Naumiestis the Vanagiai mound, reminiscing of the first millennium, is lingering. It is the largest mound between the Minija, the Jura, the Veivirzis and the Nemunas Rivers. The system of mounds (Vanagiai, Juodžiai, Venckai, Laukstėnai, and Šyliai) around Zemaiciu (lith. Žemaičių) Naumiestis present us the information about the fierce battles against Teutonic Order of the XIV century.
There are three churches of different religions in Zemaiciu (lith. Žemaičių) Naumiestis: St. Michael Archangel Church (lith. Šv. Mykolas) of Rome Catholics, the Lutherans’ Church, and Degučiai church (Jewish Synagogue). St. Michael Archangel Church of Rome Catholics built in 1782 and formed in a folk style; there are five altars and the pulpit inside the church. The art stylistics is not the same; the elements of Neo-Gothic and Neo-Baroque styles can be noticed. The Lutherans’ Church was built in 1825 and has the elements of classicism. In 1890, the Organs, made by Dovas Srugis (lith. Srūgis), were built in the church. The peculiar and exciting Degučiai church (Jewish Synagogue) was built in 1816, and the impressiveness of which is in its form of a triangle. The art heritage of the church is valuable for its integrity and authenticity. There is the relic of St. Vincent in the church.
The priest, the press and cultural worker, Frydrichas Megnius has left a distinctive mark in Zemaiciu (lith. Žemaičių) Naumiestis, by publishing the weekly newspaper “Svečias” (“Sweczias”, “The Guest”) during the period of 1911-1913, and by writing and printing of the ABC “Raktelis” (“The Key”) in Tilžė (1913). Many famous people were born in Zemaiciu (lith. Žemaičių) Naumiestis Eldership, e.g.: The Medical Ph.D. Kristupas Gudaitis (19.13.1894 – 25.08.1972) and Ilona Čiužauskaitė, Ph.D. of humanitarian sciences and the researcher in the Textual Scholarship Department of Lithuanian literature and folklore institute, were born in Zemaiciu (lith. Žemaičių) Naumiestis, Zigmantas Balcytis, one of the writers in the period of Lithuanian Independency, the bibliophile, the activist in press and culture, the member of the European Parliament, was born in Juodžiai village, Zigmas Malinauskas, the Ph.D. of geology, and Albertas Juška, the Ph.D. of social sciences, were born in Rimženčių village, Janina Janavičienė, Ph.D. of philology, was born in Tūmeliai village, and Rimantas Cibauskas, the businessmen, the social activist, and sports’ sponsor was born in Šiaudviečiai village.
The funds and exhibitions of Zemaiciu (lith. Žemaičių) Naumiestis has accumulated over 20.000 exhibits, which reflect the history of Žemaičių Naumiestis parish people’s everyday life, trades, crafts, village schools, and other ethnic communities. The museum reveals the history of the region during the period from the Stone Age to the present day. The valuable collections of archaeology, ethnography, historiography, iconography, folk art, numismatic and other artefacts are stored and exhibited in the museum.
The centre of Zemaiciu (lith. Žemaičių) Naumiestis eldership is located in Žemaicių Naumiestis township.
The Coat of arms of Zemaiciu Naumiestis eldership.
In the centre of Zemaiciu (lith. Žemaičių) Naumiestis town, the monument, restored in 1998, for the people, who died for the freedom of Lithuania. In 1990, the community built a memorial stone for “The Suffering of the Homeland“. The roofed pile in memoriam of M. Mažvydas and the first Lithuanian book was built in 2007. The monument the emblem of the town was unveiled in 2008. In 2009, on the Green hill (lith. Žaliakalnis) the memorial stone of the Millennium of Lithuania Name was built, and in 2010, the stone, for the 600 anniversary of Žalgiris battle, was unveiled.